Monday, May 13, 2013

Subchorionic Hematoma, Placenta Previa and Bedrest...oh my!


This post might not be for everybody.  I will go in to some detail about what is going on b/c I want to document everything with this pregnancy, not just the fun happy stuff!  If you are easily upset or don't like a lot of medical talk, please skip this post!! 



What a week.

As you all know I was in the ER last Sunday with a scare - the doctors told me that it was a placental abruption, to take it easy, and if the bleeding returned to come back.

Well, after a week of light activity and bedrest mostly in the evening, the bleeding was back in full force on Saturday. I freaked.  As a matter of fact, as soon as I saw it, I almost passed out.  Luckily A was calm and as soon as I told him said, "We're going to the ER."  The doctors there were not as nice as the ones on Sunday -they kept saying, "Well, you were here on Sunday..." Yep, and I'm back - get over it.   After another 4 hours there was saw healthy babies - but also a big "mass".  They said there was nothing they could do, that I might miscarry, and only come back if I was losing so much blood I was in risk.  Thanks.

I called my OB this morning, described what was going on, and they had me in within an hour of calling.  I met with a doctor (not my own) that I really trust and have a good relationship with already.  He was so kind and reassuring.  I told him what the ER said/did and he just said he was sorry.  I don't know why, but it made me feel better.

On to the good stuff.  Both babies are measuring exactly on track: 13w3d.  They were both moving around, which was good to see b/c at both ER visits they were really still, and both had strong heartbeats.  He said all of these were good signs.  Then he got to the serious stuff.  Baby A has subchorionic hematoma and placenta previa.  Poor bub!!  Here's what I've found:

Subchorionic Hematoma:
(http://www.justmommies.com/articles/subchorionic-hematoma.shtml)
Not my U/S, but one I found on google that looked very
similar to the one I had this morning.  
  • SCH or Subchorionic Hematoma is a gathering of blood between the membranes of the placenta and the uterus
  • There is no known cause for a SCH but many researchers speculate that during egg implantation, the egg slightly separates or tears from the uterus causing a bleed. There is nothing a woman did or could have done to cause or prevent them.
  • 1% of women will experience this in pregnancy. 
  • The current statistics for pregnancy loss with a SCH is 1-3%. This low percentage is related to large clots. Most pregnancies progress with no further complications. Most clots resolve on their own by 20 weeks of pregnancy.
  • SCH is a risk early in pregnancy because the clot itself can cause a miscarriage. The clot can release completely from the uterus and cause the fetus and placenta to miscarry.


Placental Previa: (http://www.babycenter.com/0_placenta-previa_830.bc?page=1)
  • If you have placenta previa, it means that your placenta is lying unusually low in your uterus, next to or covering your cervix.
  • If you're found to have placenta previa early in pregnancy, it's not usually considered a problem. 
  • Only a small percentage of women who have a low-lying placenta or previa detected on an ultrasound before 20 weeks still have it when they deliver their baby.

So, what does this mean for me and the bubs?  It means that while I'm not in the clear, that we at least know what is going on. The doctors have me on bedrest for the next 7 days at which point I will go back in (on Monday) and have another ultrasound to see what type of progress we've made.   Until then, I'm to stay hydrated and in bed as much as possible.  The doctor said that by the looks of the babies today (strong heartbeat, moving around, lots of ambiotic fluid, growing on target) he really thinks the odds are in our favor.  Please, please, please, let the odds be in our favor!!

So, now we wait, but in the meantime we will take as many prayers, thoughts, good juju and positive vibes you have to spare!!

Don't mess with his twins! He's taking this
bedrest thing very seriously!!

It's all business & guarding until you pull out the
Annie's crackers! As you can see - we are
prepped for the week ahead of bedrest! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm just catching up on your blog and I am SO MAD AT THOSE ER DOCTORS!!! RAWWWRRRR!!! I've been keeping up with you on FB, but realized I had no idea why you were on bedrest, so thought sitting at the store while it rains buckets would be a good time to catch up. :) Keep on resting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now a lots of pregnant women faced placenta previa. It's a very serious issues for pregnant women.
    Acupuncture for headaches vancouver

    ReplyDelete