Monday, June 10, 2013

Pregnancy, allergies and medications...oh, my!


Not quite sure what Honey Boo-Boo's mother's name is...Mrs. Boo-Boo? Mama Boo-Boo? Regardless - this post really isn't about her.  It is, however, about how much my allergies are kicking in right about now.  I look like this image (the sneezing, not redneckness) at any given point during the day.  And it's perfect that it's on repeat, because so is my sneezing.

Here's the thing.  The doctor gave me a list of medications that are okay to take during pregnancy.  Zyrtec (my allergy drug of choice) is on that list.  But, I just can't bring myself to use it.  They say that there are "no known risks" when taking it.  I can't help but think, how long has this drug been out? What are the long term studies?! I just can't do it.

As a matter of fact, the doctor gave me a prescription last week to fill to help with my swollen feet.  It was more for the pain of not being able to move my ankle than for the swelling itself.  Obviously, if the doctor prescribes it, it's okay, right? Well, I couldn't take that medication either.

I suppose, when it comes down to it, I'm not one for taking medication even when I'm not pregnant.  The only medication I can remember taking last year were the ones prescribed for my surgery and by the OB.  Other than that, there was probably 1-2 times I took something like tylenol or whatnot.  I'd like to say I became this way b/c I don't want to put chemicals in my body (please, just breathing does that these days!) but it really started in college and hasn't stopped.  You see, the girl in the room right below mine took Advil and then had a few beers - next thing you know they were finding her body 2.5 weeks later in her dorm room - dead.  The whole thing scared the bejesus out of me so much I pretty must stopped taking OTC medicine.

Now, with two other little lives on the line the whole fear of taking things is only heightened.  You may call this crazy - I say it only gives me a bit more character!

That being said - I really wish I could get over my mental block of taking allergy medicine and just take it! My eyes are killing me, my nose is sniffly and my throat is of fire.  Looooovely!

No comments:

Post a Comment