Sunday, August 4, 2013

Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction...

Dear SPD -

Go find another pregnant girl to bother! I'm done with you.  Not to mention, I have my fair share of aches and pains with this pregnancy, as I'm carrying two, yes two babies.  Pack up your bags and leave.  ASAP.

XX
C

Well, hopefully putting that virtual letter out in the universe will help this SPD (Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction) get the clue.  It's brutal today and I just woke up.  But, let me start at the beginning.

About 3 weeks ago, by the end of the day, I would start having this sharp pain in my pelvic bone region.  It would make it hard to walk without a major waddle/limp, but I pushed through it because I knew I had an OB appointment coming up.  Also, it felt like it was in the actual bone, so I knew it wasn't going to be a UTI or bladder infection (both, this late, can cause preterm labor and are nothing to mess with).

Fast-forward to my appointment and sprinkle some extra pain in there and a few "clicking" sounds when I move.  My doctor confirmed that I indeed didn't have a UTI or bladder infection, but instead, have this lovely thing called SPD.  Awesome.  Apparently it's not unheard of and most frequently happens with women carrying twins or large babies.

What it all boils down to is that the cartilage (see number 7? That blue line running up the bone is what is killing me!) that holds the pelvic bone together starts to stretch.  The cartilage starts to stretch because of the hormones this pregnancy is producing relaxes the cartilage - and remember, I have twice the amount of hormones surging through me.   Also, to help out matters, Zara thinks it's funny to be head down shoved into my pelvis stretching it out even more.

So, going forward the doctor wants me to do some physical therapy to help ease the pain.  However, this does not start until Tuesday.  If that doesn't help then she prescribes pain medication - which I do not want to take as I'm trying not to take a darn thing, medicine wise, while pregnant.  I've done pretty good at that rule too - the only thing I took was early in the first tri when I had food poisoning.

So, here I am.  A week later and in so much pain! It hurts to walk, sit, or lay down.  I can hardly lift my left leg off the floor more than an inch.  It literally feels like somebody is taking a butcher knife and stabbing it into my bone (right where number 7 is) anytime I move.  It's clicking, almost the sound you hear when you crack your knuckles, and those "clicks" used to relieve pain - now they do nothing.  It's also making sleep nearly impossible - laying on my side is painful but I'm not allowed to lay on my back! I've tried pillows in every position. I'm absolutely miserable!!!

Okay, sorry for that big whine fest.  The thing that does have me worried, is, if physical therapy doesn't do the trick - or if it helps a bit - what happens when I go back to work?! I don't know what I'm going to do getting on and off the floor with the kids...and even just sitting at my work desk was miserable in July b/c of the added pressure.   But, I guess we'll cross that road when we get there.  For now, I'm going to focus on being able to walk around the grocery store to get our much needed groceries.

SPD - hit the road, jack! I'm over you!

No comments:

Post a Comment