Monday, September 16, 2013

The answer...

Lately, I get asked a lot, "So, what do you do on bed rest anyway?"  Well, let me tell you - it's not as glamourous as it sounds.   I hate bed rest - the only thing that keeps me sane is knowing that this is potentially helping my children be as healthy as possible before they arrive.  So, here's a look at a typical day:

6:30 - Wake up because A's alarm goes off for work.  I typically get up and get on the computer (check FB, my blog, mommy groups I'm in, and email) while I watch the news and wait for my stomach to wake up enough to feed it.  

7:30ish - Spend part of my allotted time in the morning out of bed making breakfast.  This usually eats up about 1/2 of the one hour I'm given to be out of bed.  I use the other 1/2 hour opening the blinds, checking for spiders and trying to pick up a bit after myself.  I can't do the dishes - but at least I can get them to the sink for Allan to wash.

8:00 - Reading magazine or book for a bit and watching Good Morning America.  

9:00-11:00 -  Watch Kelly & Regis as well as The View.  I'm quite disappointed with The View now that Elizabeth Hassleback is gone.  I thought I'd really like Jenny McCarthy - I love her books - but she just annoys me and now the full panel are a bunch of Democrats.  I liked when they had at least one Republican to spice things up!

11:00-12:00 - Make any phone calls that need to be made, bills, paperwork, follow up on things such as my short-term disability.  This is my designated "office hour" - just done from bed.

12:00-1:00 -  It's officially the afternoon and I've gained another hour out of bed.  I use it now - at the very beginning - like an impatient child.  This hour I use to make myself lunch and shower.  Yes, this takes almost the full hour. I'm slow moving these days!

1:00-3:00:  It's time for General Hospital (no laughing please, I've watched it since I was 4) and to catch up on all the TV I have DVR'd from the night before.  I'm bored and restless at this point but keep reminding myself I'd rather be on bed rest at home than in the hospital!

3:00-4:00:  This hour is brutal.  There's nothing on TV and I've gotten all my "paper work" done for the day.  I try to spend this time googling or pinteresting things I could be doing to pass my time.  I usually find 1-2 things that I could make for the nursery, or a hobby I could start, etc.  But then decide I have no interest or time.  Funny, right? No time!?  I think it's just an excuse as I'm not really a "hobby person" per se. 

4:00-5:00 - Allan will be home sometime during this hour so the time seems to pass pretty quickly as I watch Dr. Phil.  

As soon as Allan is home everything seems okay.  The evenings go by too fast though - it's probably b/c I have somebody to hang out with.  He makes dinner and we catch up on the day and then usually watch primetime TV b/c he's tired from working all day.  Amazingly, by 9 o'clock at night I'm exhausted and so scamper off to bed.  I wake up about ever hour or so during the night then start everything all over again. 

Exciting? No - not in the slightest.  But, I've found a schedule that gets me from day to day without wanting to gouge my eyes out with spork for now.  Remember, I'm only on week 2 of this whole bed rest thing - I have a long way to go!! 

I try to keep reminding myself of this...one day, when the girls are here,
and I'm exhausted, I'll wish I as on bed rest!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment