Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pregnancy induced Chronic Hypertension or Preeclampsia?

Well, we're finally getting somewhere with this whole blood pressure thing.  Mind you, I'm writing this nearly 24 hours after hearing the news you are about to read about, so I've had time to digest the information.

Background info: My blood pressure (BP) before becoming pregnant was always textbook perfect.  Since becoming pregnant it has always been "high normal" - something the doctors weren't concerned about but wanted to keep an eye on.  Two weeks ago my BP officially went into the "high" category and so I was put on bed rest, because with it being 154/96 and the other symptoms I was exhibiting the doctors said I was showing signs of "early preeclampsia".

Fast forward to yesterday.   I went to my OB appointment to follow up on everything.  All of my signs of early preeclampsia were still there, except my swelling had gone down quite a bit.  I was still missing the major factor of pre-e.  My BP was so high that the doctor was actually showing visual signs of real concern on her face.

The problem is, my BP keeps going up, I keep having symptoms, but without the protein in the urine, she can't say it is "for sure" pre-e.  So, she wanted me to monitor my BP until Thursday.  I'm to take my BP 4 times a day and then anytime I'm not feeling right - and report back to her.  So far my readings have been:

Wednesday:
My new best friend - the BP monitor.  According to
the sales clerk - it's like the Mercedes of BP
machines...oooolala! 
5pm: 136/104 (moving i.e. went from living room to bedroom/bathroom)
10pm: 152/92 (after resting for 2 hours in bed/watching TV)

Thursday:
5:30am: 130/90 (wake up)
7:00am: 156/100 (moving i.e. went from living room to bedroom/bathroom)
10:30am: 155/94  (bed 2.5 hours – got up to pee)

So, kind of all over the place as far as which number is the worrisome one - the top or the bottom. The 7:00am read is in italics b/c it was a time when I wasn't feeling good - not a timed read. So, I'll take my BP two more times today, unless I feel off, and report to her tomorrow.  

What happens next?  Depending on the numbers (she thought perhaps I was only testing high b/c I was nervous at the office even though I've been telling her I'm not nervous/anxious there) she will have me do a 24 hour urine analysis. This will be done to see if I am indeed spilling protein and they just haven't caught it at the office - indicating pre-e.  If I'm not spilling protein then they will try BP medication to lower my numbers.  Hopefully that will do the trick because if not I think the next step is hospital bed rest and possible early delivery b/c my BP is starting to get dangerous for me.  So, we'll just have to wait and see. 

It was quite the roller coaster yesterday - but I've mentally recovered today. I will keep you all updated as soon as I find something new out.  We will take any good vibes you have to help keep these girls in as long as possible!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment