Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Two week appointment...

Our doctor's appt went really well today - the girls are now above birth weight (Isla is 6.4 and Zara is now 6.2).  Both girls are also measuring at 18.75 inches!! That seems so big - but both their weight and heigh land them in the pretty low range in comparison to "normal" babies i.e not preemies.

The girls also moved to 7 feeds/day instead of 8. Which means, 5 hours between one of their night feeds!!!!  Both Allan and I will feed them at 8pm-9pm.  At 9 I will go to bed until 5 am b/c Allan will take the midnight on his own.  Then Allan will sleep from 1am until whenever he wakes up in the morning.  Fingers crossed we can transition to this schedule fairly easy...can't wait for real sleep again!!

The doctor also stocked us up with more formula - the girls love the Gerber Smart Start formula - but of course the type they like isn't sold in Logan.  I was stressed b/c we ordered new formula - but it won't be here until Friday - but we are due to run out on Wednesday.  When I mentioned this to our doctor he was quick to give us samples.  He even mentioned that his Gerber rep might give us a month's worth of formula as there is a program for preemie twins!! That'd be fabulous - and save us about $300!!

But, now of course, for the bad news. The girls are still on house arrest due to Zara's lungs.  They are still not allowed to have visitors and the doc said he'd prefer them not to go out -but if they had to they needed to be covered and only go out in the early morning, late evening, or on Sunday's in the morning.  That made me laugh, which was nice, b/c if I hadn't laughed I would've cried.  I'm not sure why, but I just want to take them out, in the stroller and do "regular" things like go to the store.  Just be a mom - who does regular things.  I know this is a small drop in the pond, and others struggle with much more than I do, but I just want to feel like a "regular mom".  We will reevaluate Zara's situation in December - but right now he even wants them to stay out of daycare in Jan - just to make sure they are big/strong enough to fight things off.  Good for the babies - but surprisingly hard for mom (me) to hear.    So - for now - we are in "baby jail" together.

No comments:

Post a Comment